14 December 2013

12 + 13

Oh look who is late with the calendar posts! This busy bee is sorry that a few days have passed without the promised calendar pieces, but I simply didn't have time or opportunities to blog.  I do have a few things for the missing days though, to make amends of sorts.

Number twelve, today's look. I'm in Helsinki again and went to watch some roller derby this evening!


corset Belle Modeste (blog collaboration)  / pencil skirt & lace blouse  second hand  / tassel earrings Seppälä

And for number thirteen, a very important book.
I could say the practical perceptions on those pages changed my life around.

I read The Power of Now for the first time last year, and it's been on my nightstand ever since.  The great thing about this book is there's no certain ideology or religion pushing from the text (wouldn't recommend it if there were), just the most wise and natural observations of how there's no life in past or the future, only in the present moment. If you ever feel pain, anxiety, too much stress burdening your shoulder, don't forgive nor forget or just want more happiness, I really recommend giving this book a chance! Some form of awakening can only do good things.



-"Nobody’s life is entirely free of pain and sorrow. Isn’t it a question of learning to live with them rather than trying to avoid them?

The greater part of human pain is unnecessary. It is self-created as long as the unobserved mind runs your life.The pain that you create now is always some form of nonacceptance, some form of unconscious resistance to what is. On the level of thought, the resistance is some form of judgment. On the emotional level, it is some form of negativity. The intensity of the pain depends on the degree of resistance to the present moment, and this in turn depends on how strongly you are identified with your mind." 


-"See if you can catch yourself complaining in either speech or thought, about a situation you find yourself in, what other people do or say, your surroundings, your life situation, even the weather. To complain is always nonacceptance of what is. It invariably carries an unconscious negative charge. When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation or accept it. All else is madness."

25 comments:

  1. How was the game?
    Today my team played against Barcelona Roller Derby - infortunately we lost but a great game, nveertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good game, a double-header actually! But a tough one to cheer, as I was on the side of both teams at both games! One of our girls actually lives in Barcelona atm, and she went to some practices with the Barcelona ladies. I'm sure they were a tough opponent, but happily in derby it doesn't matter who wins and who loses. At least to me :)

      Delete
    2. I agreed with you: it doesn't matter - we just want grow as players and learn more and more.
      And the best part, besides of the obivous - the bout - is the after party, we love to party hard!

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate the indication of the book. I'll certainly look for. Looks pretty good, thank you for sharing this.

    And you're still look lovely, as aways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad if it helps someone else as much as it has helped me, the words really awaken something amazing. And it's the simplest thing, to really understand how happiness is born.

      And thank you! <3

      Delete
  3. I don't know how to live in the present, I'm always weeks ahead of myself.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy if it works for you :) To myself it would be destructive, it caused me so much unnecessary pain to worry about the future and gloom about the past that I now prefer the present.

      Delete
  4. Voi olet niin kaunis, aina :)
    Itsekin olen katsonut kirjakaupoissa mielenkiinnolla noita samanlaisia kirjoja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voi kiitos paljon! <3 Niistä kirjoita monet on hyviä, mutta tämä kannattaa ehdottomasti lukaista läpi. Myös Tollen toinen kirja, Uusi Maa, on loistava. :) Mä ennen välttelin kauhulla kaikkia itsehoito-oppaita, kunnes tajusin ettei niistä oikeastaan koidu muuta kuin hyvää.

      Delete
  5. Your make-up is so amazing :)(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a really interesting read I think a lot of people forget that we can't keep living in the past because for one you cannot change the past and the future hasn't even gotten here yet so it's best just to make the most of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the point! Life can ever only exist in the present, and there's really nothing to worry about in the real present. It's so simple although it might take some time for the lesson to sink in. :)

      Delete
  7. How goes roller derby?
    I really like the outfit in today's post - very elegant, classt and Gothic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been injured, absent and travelling for the past three months, so to me roller derby hasn't been going all that well, to be honest. I can't make too big commitments in my life situation, so I dropped out of the A team and tag along whenever I can. :) But I do love the game and of course the girls!

      Delete
  8. Lovely pictures! & I will definitely check that book out, sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really recommend the book, it's written so simply and can open many locks inside.

      Delete
  9. I'd definitely read this book, thank you! you look so good and classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lae! I hope the book will be helpful. :)

      Delete
  10. Amazing pictures! You look very nice!
    And I'll check out the book!

    x Dawn
    www.artofbeingweird.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olet todella kaunis!

    ReplyDelete